The statistics below are scary, but true. However, it doesn’t have to be that way . . . Many children who come to live with us feel hopeless. Their situations back home often seem unchangeable. But we have a God of hope!
• Every 10 seconds a child is abused.
• In the US, almost five children die every day as a result of child abuse.
More than 75% are under the age of 4.
• Child abuse kills more children in America than do accidental falls, drowning,
choking on food, fires in the home, or suffocation.
• Head trauma is the leading cause of child abuse death among babies. This includes shaken baby syndrome in which 25% of victims die and the majority of survivors suffer brain damage.
• Families with children comprise roughly one-third of the nation’s homeless population.
• Roughly three-quarters of homeless children are of elementary school age, and 42% are below age six.
•The average age of children in foster care is just below 10 years.
THE FOSTER SYSTEM
•There are 11,433 children in foster care in the state of Missouri, where Shiloh Christian Children’s Ranch is located. However there is Over 510,000 American children are in foster care, taken away when their families are in crisis and can’t take care of them.
•During an average 22 month stay, a foster child is placed in at least of three different homes.
Read to Amber’s story to better understand how Shiloh provides hope and love in the lives of children.